KickStart is a company that aims to help millions of people out of poverty. They promote sustainable economic growth and employment creation in Kenya and other countries. They develop and promote technologies that can be used by dynamic entrepreneurs to establish and run profitable small scale enterprises.
How do they do it?
1. IDENTIFY OPPORTUNITIES – What business will be profitable for these people, in this place?
2. DESIGN PRODUCTS – What new tools will make this possible?
3. ESTABLISH A SUPPLY CHAIN – How can we produce these?
4. DEVELOP THE MARKET – How do we convince someone with little money to make a big investment?
5. MEASURE AND MOVE ALONG – Is this going as we planned?
Product Example – Super Money Maker Water Pump
Kick start have taken and developed the traditional pump creating a super efficient water pump that can be operated autonomously, the beauty of it is its portability and its power. Water is needed worldwide, especially for farming, and a pump like this changes lives, it is such a necessity for all third world farmers.
Thousands use it to pump water from hand-dug wells, rivers, streams, lakes and ponds. It is ideal for sprinkler irrigation, filling overhead water tanks, or for use with nozzles and sprays attached to the end of the delivery hose. This powerful pump can draw water up from 23 feet (7m) and has a total pumping head of 46 feet (14m). It can be used to irrigate up to 2 acres of land.
The way KickStart works is inspiring and the company are of great interest to me. The pump especially, as within third world countries the scarcity of water and the ability to move it is such a pertinent issue.